Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ideology anyone? Consonance? ...Anyone?

If you slap "ology" onto the end of any word and it forms a new word meaning the study of that root word. Sadly, an example that readily comes to mind in American pop culture is "pimpology".



Ideology on the other hand is something I think few people tend to think about. How many people really study their own ideas? It seems from my research that few people really try to correctly resolve their cognitive dissonances with a correction of their ideas and/or behavior. Most people seem to seek non-cognititve consonance or swim in an ocean of relativism with a corral reef full of opposing cognitions.

Dilbert

I think about my thinking quite a bit. I used to be very closed minded but a few years in college pounded down my mental barriers and shed a little light in. I'm bright, but I'm far from omniscient so I still have a lot to learn. I've found that the more I learn the more I realize just how little I know. I've also learned to beware the sound of one hand clapping. I've found that criticism is priceless.

In Religious Studies there are three basic umbrellas that nearly all aspects of human life fall under: identity, worldview and practices.

Identity is who the self is and worldview is how one perceives everything outside of the self and practices are motivated out of identity and/or worldview. Worldview is basically one's subjective truth; their own perception. What is seldom sought out and even more rarely found is objective truth. People just want to go about their business.

This famous propaganda artifact is a perfect example of non-cognitive consonance. England is being bombed, people have every reason to panic and do something drastically different yet there it is in all its royal red glory.


Above is a bit of propaganda from amongst the populace. Would it be too cliché to mention that the writing's on the wall?

For further reading check out this article I stumbled upon:

http://www.truthmove.org/content/cognitive-dissonance/

So the question at hand then is this: what lies do you believe?


I'm a seeker. I want to know the Truth. I'm a champion. I fight for the Truth to be known. Why Truth? Because the knowing the Truth sets us free and freedom is worth fighting for... freedom is worth dying for.

So even though I'm no Man of Steel, I fight for the same things with flesh, blood, sweat, tears, spirit and soul.




So did they.









No comments:

Post a Comment